Challenges!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Busy, Busy

So for the past week I've been extremely busy!  It's nice to feel needed...sometimes I feel like we have too much help at work, but this week a lot of people have been gone, giving me more things to do.  Also, I worked on both Saturday and Sunday for fire, getting in some awesome overtime hours!  Thus, my exercise has been slightly lacking.

Last night, however, I got in a great run!  I put in interval times/distances into my garmin (love it!) and headed out.  I finished 4.1 miles, and felt like I could go forever.  I'm really glad I've figured out the interval feature on the Garmin because it helps me to be a smarter runner.  On the treadmill I can focus on intervals and pace easily, but when I get on the road I tend to go too fast too early.  With interval timing, I can get in a great run using the run/walk method while getting in more miles than I would by pushing too hard just running.  (You might be thinking: DUH!  I'm a little slow sometimes.)

So I have my half-marathon picked out for October 30, but I haven't registered yet.  I'm not trying to back out, but because I hadn't been working on my base miles much before my actual training plan started (this week), I'm going to play it by ear as to how I do and whether or not I'm going to do the half.  If I can stick with my training plan and get in my long runs as planned, I'll go ahead and do the half.  If I don't (it's not a matter of CAN, it's a matter of WILL), I'm not going to risk injury by running the half if my body isn't ready.

I'll keep you posted as to how I'm doing.  I've got 6 miles lined up for this weekend, so we'll see how that goes!  I'm excited for it, if that's any consolation!

TGIF by the way!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't even looked at the interval option on my Garmin yet! I didn't know there was one. Doh! Way to go with your running!

    ReplyDelete

Speak to me: